Just giving a news update on our Stone Away truck. We affectionately call it Stonemobile 1. This truck has been a project of sorts with the final goal of one day getting into off-road racing. But our funds haven’t been focused so much on this as they have on trying to get Stone Away promoted online and in front of people who need it. So, it’s been a slow process with the truck and that’s O.K. Most of the modifications have been suspension and some cosmetics. So far this is what we have.
1992 Toyota 4X4 Pickup w/ 22RE 4cyl. engine, 5 spd manual transmission. 255,000 original miles.
- Hanneman Fiberglass fenders 4″ Bulge Flat Tops
- Vehicle Wrap
- Total Chaos Gen 1 Long Travel front suspension
- Total Chaos Gen 2 Custom Front Shock Hoop modified with over-engine cross brace ( by Torch Monkey Fabrication in Round Rock, TX)
- RaceRunner 2.5″X10 Threaded shocks with remote reservoirs
- Sway-A-Way Heavy Duty Torsion Bars
- East Coast Gear 4:88:1 spooled rear 3rd member
- American Gear 4:88:1 front differential
- Custom Cold Air Intake w/K&N filter
- 3 row Aluminum radiator
- 16″ Flexalite electric radiator fan ( fact. clutch fan deleted )
- Custom bed-mounted light bar
- Custom front grill guard /skid plate
- 7 Hella 4000 Halogen lights 3 flood 4 spots
- Rear axle truss from Off Road Warehouse
- New Toyota Clutch Kit
- 33X9.50X15 BF Goodrich TA All Terrain tires.
With mild adds we still have a long way to go before the truck will meet S.C.O.R.E., B.I.T.D., and TRDA safety specs.
Now, we are faced with going ahead and swapping the motor out for a new one. This will take a lot of pressure off driving this truck longer distances AND pushing it’s limits off-road. We knew it was only a matter of time before we would need to do so. It just happened a little sooner than expected.
The new motor will be a rebuilt unit from JIS in Arlington, TX. Nothing radical about the engine because we’ve done mods to the air intake, clutch fan delete, and re-gearing that released plenty of horsepower to this truck. Having a “closer to stock” powerplant will hopefully keep us in the “easy to maintain” realm while taking it through it’s paces off-road. We aren’t looking to win races as much as we are looking to compete and get exposure…and have fun doing it. Winning would be nice, and we may very well do some podium finishes. Many times these races are about attrition more so than speed. Just finishing a race usually gets you pretty high in the rankings in Baja style racing.
Here’s a list of upgrades yet to come…
- Deaver F67 rear long travel leaf springs
- Total Chaos long shackles
- King Shocks in rear
- Rear bed cage
- Fuel cell mounted aft
- Roll cage in cab
- Off road racing seats
- 5 point restraint system
- Window nets
- Upgraded Upper Control Arms
- Convert the front threaded body shocks to coil-over style.
- Total Chaos King Kong steering kit
- Custom front grill guard / skid plate
- Relocated battery to rear
- Lowrance HDS-7m Gen2 Nav system ( dash mounted )
- Lowrance VHF race radio
So, we’ll keep everything posted as we travel down this road to ……OFF ROAD.
Here’s a video of our build…Truck Build Video